Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Prompt 6-Brown

See full size image

The culturally competent teacher communicates in ways that demonstrates sensitivity to socio-cultural and linguistic differences sing a variety of verbal and non-verbal communication techniques that encourage positive interaction and support learning in their classroom.
            One time, the other kindergarten teacher was out of school sick. And because there weren’t any substitutes, the class of 25 was split in two. Just a side not: the other kindergarten class is a special Ed class. So, Mrs. Paisley was inheriting 15 extra students on top of her 26. Mrs. Paisley said she was glad that I was there that day because for those two hours I really helped her, along with the classroom aid. Also, there was the ad from the other class to help out as well. I couldn’t believe how many students ere in one classroom at one time. Although, I have to say they were well behaved for the most part. They did all kinds of different activates to compensate the other children. During the language lesson. It was interesting to watch. I loved being able to work with the students from the other class. It was such an eye opener. Working with them was incredible. It was such a change from my normal routine in the classroom. Mrs. Paisley and the other teacher aid, Mrs. Bradley, were really accommodated for both classes.
            I related this experience to Brown. Although, this story wasn’t about all girls but I related to the two classrooms and Brown’s case of Mansfield verses Acadia. There were two very different groups of students. And in the Brown article there were two very different groups of girls. The difference being the high and middle class. In the two classes that were put together for one day I saw that they were separated and the classes weren’t integrated. I would have put the students at different tables and let all the students talk together. I think if it was my classroom I would have done it a little differently. All the students should have been able to come together and bee seen as one class for the day, when in reality there were two. Even though, the teachers did a good job accommodating for the learning difference, for example with the papers they did. But they should have helped the students by explaining it to them differently. The language and words that the teacher was using was hard for some of the students to understand. Brown’s article really made me think about my classroom and how I would never want my classroom separated in two. No matter what the situation is, I would want to bring them all together. In the article….as a possible solution was to put those two places together in the hopes they will even each other out.

0 comments: